Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 1 - Sacrifice

So yesterday - was Day 1.  I was scheduled for you know the 6:30am 1.5 hour yoga class following a late Thursday night - BAD IDEA.

I had to be honest with myself in realizing, that a hangover and 1.5 hours of 105 degree heat was a recipe for disaster.  Mental discipline is a combination of being honest with yourself and knowing when your mind is just making excuses and let me tell you, that mind can be so damn convincing!  I felt fear tug me back while embarking upon this 60 day journey.  But what I realized, or rather remembered, you truly have to take it one day at a time, one moment at a time, you can't try to do it all at once. I can't take all 60 classes once! So one day, one class, one moment at a time...

I took the 6:30pm instead. I got there, I was ready, and boy did I sweat.  The point is that I made it, I had arrived, this wasn't going to be a just another commitment I blew off - I am tired of being unable to look at myself in the mirror stuck in a cycle of fear and shame. I am committed to the idea of bettering myself mentally, physically, and spiritually and I believe yoga will get me there.

As I sweltered in the heat, I was aware, or rather my mind made me fully aware of the fact that I couldn't do alot of the things I used to be able to do, that I was tight, tired, and out of sorts early on in class, but I was thankful for being there. Just showing up, is the least I could do, and I was there, attempting, making an effort, and fulfilling a commitment to myself.  I was slowly chiseling away at the sedentary block I have become, sedentary in so may ways, in ways that I cannot afford when going after my dreams.

I am sore today - and ecstatic that I am! In order to go after something important to you, you need to make room in your life...room because it matters, its a priority.  I had to create room yesterday based on my schedule with work, the business, and seeing friends, and I will do that today and so on.  In order to persevere, you must SACRIFICE.

No comments: